Saturday, December 8, 2012

Advent tree + pattern

I finally finished the Advent tree! It's over a week into December, so we are starting late. But I am *so* happy with how it came out. The picture doesn't really do it justice (bad lighting, sorry!) and I'm going to hopefully get another picture tomorrow. It stands about 39" tall. I sewed 25 buttons on (one for the star) and we can now hang an ornament on for each day.

This was my first time doing a "foundation half-double crochet." But once I watched  YouTube video (linked) and tried it out - it wasn't hard at all!

Now to start putting our Advent ornaments up :) Need some? Remember Snappy-Tots had a crochet-along with lots of great patterns!

The pattern is just a quick write-up, I'll hopefully have it tested for accuracy and make it look better soon, but I figured I will get it up now for any others still thinking or working on their Advent trees :)


Pattern:
1.5 skeins Red Heart "Dark Hunter."
1.5 skeins Caron Simply Soft Dark Teal Heather
(or whichever colors you'd prefer)

Some scraps of 3 different brown colors  (mine had lost their sleeves so I'm not sure their specific color names, but they were Caron Pound, Caron Simply Soft, and a Sugar n Cream cotton)

N hook


Yarn is held TRIPLE throughout the pattern.  
I held two strands Red heart, one strand Simply Soft.
Gauge is not important.

Tree:
ch. 56
Row 1. hdc in 3rd ch from hook and in each across, turn
Row 2 - 9. ch 2, hdctog, hdc across to last two, hdctog in last two sts, turn
Row 10. ch6, hdc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc across, after last stitch of the row do 4 foundation hdc’s 
(for information how to do a foundation half-double crochet, see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tp7mgnV7fs  You will be working in the bottom left “loop” of the previous stitch for each foundation half-double crochet), turn
Row 11 - 20. ch2, hdctog, hdc across to last two, hdctog in last two sts, turn
Row 21. ch6, hdc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc across, after last stitch of the row do 4 foundation hdc’s, turn
Row 22 - 29. ch2, hdctog, hdc across to last two, hdctog in last two sts, turn
Row 30. ch6, hdc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc across, after last stitch of the row  do 4 foundation hdc’s, turn
Row 31-38. ch2, hdctog, hdc across to last two, hdctog in last two sts, turn
Row 39. ch6, hdc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc across, after last stitch of the row  do 4 foundation hdc’s, turn
Row 40+. ch2, hdctog, hdc across to last two, hdctog in last two sts, turn

When only one stitch remains, fasten off, weave in ends.


Trunk
turn tree over so it is upside down
starting at base of tree, count 21 stitches over from the right and attach yarn in 22nd, ch2
Row1. 11 hdc, turn
Row 2-5. ch 2, hdc across
Fasten off, weave in ends.





6 comments:

  1. this is super fun! If I could crochet, I'd totally do this! Blue and Bear have such a crafty mommy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you please explain what you do after row 10. I'm a little confused, lol.
    Do you chain after this row before starting the HDC foundation row? It's not real clear to me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry for the confusion! After finishing row 9, you will turn and chain 6 then work into the chain and then continue working across the row. When you reach the end of the row, you will then do 4 foundation hdc's. This will pop the tree back out for the next tier :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, Did you have do stiffen your tree with something to make it hang without sagging? I just made one and it turned out really well. How did you hang yours on the wall? Is it stiff enough to hold it's shape on it's own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had any issues with the tree sagging, I think partly because it's 3 strands held together but also the strands are "stiffer" yarns in general (Red Heart).

      The first year, I just hung the top of the tree on a small hook. This year, I staple gunned it to the wall since we had it hiding our digital antennae and I wanted it to mold around that haha.

      Glad yours came out good! Would love to see a picture!

      Delete